Streetwear, a counter-culture-filled fashion phenomenon, draws inspiration from subcultures including hip hop, skateboarding, surfing, and graffiti. Once seen as “this season’s trend,” its emergence and growth have formed into a category of its own — sneakers, graphic T-shirts, hoodies, fashion accessories, and home goods. Bypassing traditional retail channels through direct-to-consumer strategies and a resale economy, streetwear has proved its viability as a lifestyle with a global streetwear market estimated at $185 billion in sales. While many want to enter the streetwear industry as an apparel designer, graphic designer, or their own brand owner, it takes an array of departments and positions to develop a streetwear collection. What are they and how do you get started in your streetwear career?
To help you determine and achieve your career goals, we have created this comprehensive guide. Yellowbrick’s The Ultimate Streetwear Career Guide is your source to discover careers and learn entry points into the streetwear industry. In this guide, you can begin to explore the streetwear jobs that drive the streetwear industry, then search for your perfect career by area of interest, skills, companies, or industry experts.
Learn about your skills and interests, and articulate them confidently to identify career options that you might want to pursue. Then, implement a successful strategy to attain your desired career outcomes.
In this guide you’ll find the following information:
- Overview of The Streetwear Industry
- Future of Work within Streetwear
- Streetwear Career Library
- Career Planning Strategy to get into The Streetwear Industry
You’ll also find simple exercises that help you:
- form a career planning strategy to get into the streetwear industry
- find your passion in streetwear and identify an area of interest to pursue
- learn the streetwear industry through top brands and its key players
- identify your skills and match them to an area of interest in streetwear